Information for Debtors
Filing Requirements and Instructions
Checklists and Instruction Sheets for Individual Debtors
- Chapter 7
- Chapter 11
- Chapter 12
- Chapter 13
- Instruction Sheet – Landlord/Tenant under § 362(b)(22) and (l)
- Instructions on Amending Individual Social Security Number
- Individual Debtors: Credit Counseling and Debtor Education Requirement (Chapter 7 and 13 cases; certain Chapter 11 cases)
- Request for Waiver of Debtor's Duty to Comply with the Credit Counseling Requirement Under Section 109(h)(4)
- Official Form 423 ["Certification About a Financial Management Course"]
- Application for Waiver of Chapter 7 Filing Fees, see poverty guidelines
ATTENTION: PRO SE DEBTORS AND OTHER UNREPRESENTED PARTIES
During the course of a bankruptcy case or proceeding, bankruptcy court notices are mailed by the Bankruptcy Noticing Center (BNC) on behalf of the court. The BNC, which is operated by a private contractor, provides notice production and mailing services for the court, but THE BNC IS NOT THE COURT.
DO NOT SEND DOCUMENTS TO THE BNC
Documents related to a bankruptcy case or proceeding should be sent directly to the court.
Fees and Rates
Part I - Official Bankruptcy Forms must be used to file and take action in bankruptcy cases.
Part II - Director's Procedural Forms also may be necessary for use during the course of some bankruptcy proceedings.
Local Bankruptcy Forms
Credit Couseling and Debtor Education
The Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 requires that individuals who plan to file for bankruptcy protection must receive credit counseling from a government approved organization within six months before they file. Individuals must also complete a debtor education course to have their debts discharged. The Department of Justice's U.S. Trustee Program approves organizations who can provide the mandatory credit counseling and debtor education.
U.S. Trustee's Credit Counseling and Debtor Education Program
A List of Approved Credit Counseling Agencies Pursuant to 11 U.S.C. § 111.
A List of Approved Providers of Personal Financial Management Instructional Courses (Debtor Education) Pursuant to 11 U.S.C. § 111.
A contact page for complaints or concerns related to approved Credit Counseling Agencies or Debtor Education Providers.
Information on Means Testing (Chapter 7).